Each year, USC students make an impact together through Friends & Neighbors Day projects at community organizations throughout Los Angeles. FND gives students an opportunity to give back through a variety of service projects, and to meet new friends with similar interests. Register to volunteer for Friends & Neighbors Day by clicking the button below. If registration has closed, you may come to FND as a walk-in at 8:30 am and we will try to match you with one of the project sites that has space available.
Registration for September 30th is now open! Read the project descriptions and click to register on the button below.
Friends & Neighbors Day Project Descriptions
Hunger & Poverty
- Downtown Women’s Center – The Downtown Women’s Center works to provide a safe, healthy, and stable community as well as permanent, supportive housing for homeless women in Los Angeles. Volunteer to help this organization sort the donations they receive to help out women in need.
- Groceryships – Groceryships works to improve long-term health and wellness in low-income communities by creating a network of educational support groups and enhancing access to healthy, unprocessed foods. Help this organization by assisting them with their many programs and helping organize Groceryships events.
- Shelter Partnership – The Shelter Partnership Foundation distributes millions of dollars in new goods to agencies serving the homeless and children and youth in foster care. Assist the organization in sorting and organizing their clothing donations so they can get the goods out quickly to people in need.
- St. Francis Center – Help sort, organize, and shelve grocery and produce items donated to the organization. Their food pantry distribution is part of their Family Wellbeing Program that helps feed families in need.
- World Harvest Food Bank – Help World Harvest Food bank provide support to community members by sorting food donations, stocking shelves, and preparing food baskets to distribute to those in need.
Youth & Education
- Blazers – USC Volunteers will share their college and life experiences with Blazers students and parents. Help Blazers build different workshops for the future and mentor their participants and families on college readiness and college life experiences.
- Jumpstart – Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional programming for preschool children from under-resourced communities and promotes quality early learning for all. Volunteer with this organization to create and organize preschool materials for children to use both in the classroom and at home.
- Community Services Unlimited – Help Community Services Unlimited increase produce production by planting, harvesting, and weeding, all while learning about food systems in their mini-urban garden in Exposition Park!
- Natural History Museum – Join the Natural History Museum for a day of service in the museum’s Nature Gardens. Get your hands dirty as you help their gardeners with projects like mulching, pruning, and composting. They provide the tools; you provide the energy!
- LA Promise Fund – LA Promise Fund supports schools and provides students with alternative learning opportunities. Help LA Promise Fund beautify school campuses in the surrounding communities by painting, gardening, and cleaning up classrooms!
- Kitty Bungalow – Kitty Bungalow works to end the proliferation of homeless kittens, providing socialization services for feral kittens, placing them in lifelong loving homes, and sterilizing truant grown ferals throughout the city of Los Angeles. Help Kitty Bungalow in transforming their backyard into a beautiful space by creating a garden and organizing supplies, and get to spend some time with their cats and kittens at the end!
- Westside German Shepherd Rescue – FULL
Looking for a service opportunity for your student group? Recognized Student Organizations can request to be a part of our upcoming Friends and Neighbors Day event! Group members can volunteer together on a service project on a first come, first serve basis. Submit a request for your RSO to participate this upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day through our Group Request Form on or before September 15th at 5:00 pm. If space is available, we will assign you to one of the sites you’ve indicated that has the capacity for your group, and email you with details. Once approved, your members can register by clicking the red button above to be assigned to your group’s volunteer site.
Note: We will update this information with project summaries for our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day one month before each event!