USC students can make an impact together through Friends & Neighbors Day service projects at organizations throughout Los Angeles. FND gives students an opportunity to give back and to meet new friends with similar interests. Register to volunteer on our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day by clicking the button below.
Registration always closes the Thursday just before FND to give our staff time to assign volunteers to project sites. If registration has closed, you may come to FND as a walk-in on that date by 9:00 am and we will match you with project sites that have space available. Read the project descriptions for our next FND below. Please Note: Descriptions may be updated throughout the month as we prepare for FND!
Friends & Neighbors Day Project Descriptions
February 23rd, 2019
Hunger & Poverty:
- Downtown Women’s Center: The DWC works to provide basic needs and resources to women experiencing homelessness in LA. Volunteer here to help sort and organize their donations and prepare them to be given out to those in need!
- GOOD+ Foundation: The GOOD+ Foundation addresses multi-generational poverty by pairing donations of critically needed goods with transformational services to help low-income families across the country. Volunteer here to screen, sort, and process the donations they receive to help make a difference for those they serve!
- Shelter Partnership: Shelter Partnership works to address the problem of homelessness in Los Angeles through policy, resource development, and advocacy. Volunteer here to sort their clothing donations and prepare them for delivery to the homeless population of LA!
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank: LA Food Bank works to mobilize resources in the local community to alleviate hunger. Volunteer here to help sort, inspect, and repackage donated food items from local food drives and supermarket chains!
- World Harvest Charities: World Harvest Food Bank works to reduce hunger among low income communities and families. Volunteer here to organize and prepare food donations for families in need, and learn all about the food waste crisis in Los Angeles!
- Kitty Bungalow Charm School for Wayward Cats: Kitty Bungalow works to rescue and socialize the feral cat population in Los Angeles. Volunteer here to work on their outdoor facility by cleaning the area! You’ll also get to hang out with some of their kitties at the end!
- LA Promise Fund: LA Promise Fund works to improve the facilities of local schools in order to provide a clean and positive learning environment for Los Angeles students. Volunteer here to help out with clean-up, gardening, painting, or beautifying a local school!
- Natural History Museum: The Natural History Museum works to engage visitors with nature in their outdoor garden. Volunteer here to work alongside their gardeners to prune, trim, mulch, and otherwise care for the museum’s outdoor spaces!
Youth & Education:
- The Blazers Youth Center: The Blazers Center provides resources to encourage their participants to attend college. Volunteer here to help build their programs and offer your advice as a college student!
- Jumpstart: Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Volunteer here to create and organize materials for their participants to use in the classroom and at home!
Looking for a service opportunity for your student group? Recognized Student Organizations can request to be a part of our upcoming Friends and Neighbors Day event! Group members can volunteer together on a service project on a first come, first serve basis. Submit a request for your RSO to participate this upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day through our Group Request Form on or before February 15th at 5:00 pm. If space is available, we will assign you to one of the sites you’ve indicated that has the capacity for your group, and email you with details. Once approved, your members can register by clicking the red button above to be assigned to your group’s volunteer site.
*Note: Animal Advocacy projects cannot be reserved by groups due to the demand! We apologize for any inconvenience.
Note: We will update this information with project summaries for our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day one month before each event!