USC students can make an impact together through Friends & Neighbors Day service projects at organizations throughout Los Angeles. FND gives students an opportunity to give back and to meet new friends with similar interests. Register to volunteer on our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day by clicking the button below.
Registration may close just before FND to give our staff time to assign volunteers to project sites. If registration has closed, you may come to FND on Saturday morning and register as a walk in. Arrive early as registration may take a few minutes longer. We will try to accommodate as many walk-ins as possible into the sites that have availability. Read the project descriptions for our next FND below. Please Note: Descriptions may be updated throughout the month as we prepare for FND!
Friends & Neighbors Day Project Descriptions
November 9, 2019
Youth and Education
- Blazers Youth Center – The Blazers Center works to encourage underserved students to pursue higher learning and improve their educational experience. Volunteer here to help organize the center and provide insight into your educational experience!
- Jumpstart – Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Volunteer here to help create resources and activities that the kids they serve can use in their classrooms and homes!
- LA Promise Fund – LA Promise Fund works to clean up local schools to improve the educational experience of young students. Volunteer here to help beautify a local school!
Hunger & Poverty
- GOOD+ – The GOOD+ Foundation provides low-income parents with essential tools- cribs, car seats, strollers, diapers- to maintain the health and safety of their children. Serve with this organization to help sort and distribute the various donations they receive to positively impact their recipients.
- Shelter Partnership – Shelter Partnership works to address the problem of homelessness in Los Angeles through policy, resource development, and advocacy. Volunteer here to sort their clothing donations and prepare them for delivery to the homeless population of LA!
- St. Francis Center – St. Francis Center provides relief to homeless and low-income communities and families in Los Angeles. Volunteer here to sort, organize, and shelve grocery donations, and to then get to know the community you’re serving by distributing those donations to members of the program!
- Community Services Unlimited – Help Community Services Unlimited increase produce production by planting, harvesting, and weeding, all while learning about food systems in their mini-urban garden in Exposition Park!
- Kitty Bungalow – Kitty Bungalow works to rescue and socialize the feral cat population in Los Angeles. Volunteer here to work on their outdoor facility by organizing storage, maintaining the facility, and cleaning the area! You’ll also get to hang out with some of their kitties at the end!
Looking for a service opportunity for your student group? Recognized Student Organizations can request to be a part of our upcoming Friends and Neighbors Day event! Group members can volunteer together on a service project on a first come, first serve basis. Submit a request for your RSO to participate this upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day through our Group Request Form for our November date. If space is available, we will assign you to one of the sites you’ve indicated that has the capacity for your group, and email you with details. Once approved, your members can register by clicking the red button above to be assigned to your group’s volunteer site.
*Animal Advocacy projects cannot be reserved by groups due to the demand! We apologize for any inconvenience.
Note: We will update this information with project summaries for our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day one month before each event!