USC students can make an impact together through Friends & Neighbors Day service projects at organizations throughout Los Angeles. FND gives students an opportunity to give back and to meet new friends with similar interests. Register to volunteer on our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day by clicking the button below.
Registration always closes the Thursday just before FND to give our staff time to assign projects. If registration has closed, you may come to FND as a walk-in on that date by 9:00 am and we will match you with project sites that have space available. Read the project descriptions for our next FND below. Please Note, descriptions may be updated throughout the month as we prepare for FND!
Friends & Neighbors Day Project Descriptions
October 20, 2018
Hunger & Poverty
- GOOD+ Foundation: The GOOD+ Foundation provides low-income parents with essential tools- cribs, car seats, strollers, diapers- to maintain the health and safety of their children. Serve with this organization to help sort the various donations they receive to positively impact their recipients. In addition, some volunteers will help GOOD+ prepare for their annual Halloween Bash benefit event.
- Shelter Partnership: Shelter Partnership works to address the problem of homelessness in Los Angeles through policy, resource development, and advocacy. Volunteer here to sort their clothing donations and prepare them for delivery to the homeless population of LA!
- World Harvest Charities: World Harvest Food Bank works to reduce hunger among low income communities and families. Volunteer here to organize and prepare food donations for families in need, and learn all about the food waste crisis in Los Angeles!
- St. Francis Center: St. Francis Center provides relief to homeless and low-income communities and families in Los Angeles. Volunteer here to sort, organize, and shelve grocery donations, and to then get to know the community you’re serving by distributing those donations to members of the program!
- Garden School Foundation: The Garden School foundation provides quality garden education to children in underserved schools across the city. Volunteer here to help tend to the 1.5 acre school garden at 24th Street Elementary School!
- LA Promise Fund: LA Promise Fund works to improve the facilities of local schools in order to provide a clean and positive learning environment for Los Angeles students. Volunteer here to help out with clean-up, gardening, painting, or beautifying a local school!
- Natural History Museum: Join the Natural History Museum for a day of service in the museum’s Nature Gardens. Get your hands dirty as you help their gardeners with projects like mulching, pruning, and composting. They provide the tools; you provide the energy!
Youth & Education
- The Blazers Youth Center: The Blazers Center provides resources to encourage their participants to attend college. Volunteer here to help build their programs and offer your advice as a college student!
- Jumpstart: Jumpstart’s programs aim to prepare children to that they can enter kindergarten ready to succeed. Volunteer here to help them organize and create materials that can be used by students throughout the school year!
- Kitty Bungalow: Kitty Bungalow works to rescue and socialize the feral cat population in Los Angeles. Volunteer here to work on their outdoor facility by setting pavers and clean the area! You’ll also get to hang out with some of their kitties at the end!
Looking for a service opportunity for your student group? Recognized Student Organizations can request to be a part of our upcoming Friends and Neighbors Day event! Group members can volunteer together on a service project on a first come, first serve basis. Submit a request for your RSO to participate this upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day through our Group Request Form on or before October 10th at 5:00 pm. If space is available, we will assign you to one of the sites you’ve indicated that has the capacity for your group, and email you with details. Once approved, your members can register by clicking the red button above to be assigned to your group’s volunteer site.
*Note: Animal Advocacy projects cannot be reserved by groups due to the demand! We apologize for any inconvenience.
Note: We will update this information with project summaries for our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day one month before each event!