USC students can make an impact together through Friends & Neighbors Day service projects at organizations throughout Los Angeles. FND gives students an opportunity to give back and to meet new friends with similar interests. Register to volunteer on our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day by clicking the button below.
Registration may close just before FND to give our staff time to assign volunteers to project sites. If registration has closed, you may come to FND on Saturday morning and register as a walk in. Arrive early as registration may take a few minutes longer. We will try to accommodate as many walk-ins as possible into the sites that have availability. Read the project descriptions for our next FND below. Please Note: Descriptions may be updated throughout the month as we prepare for FND!
Friends & Neighbors Day Project Descriptions
February 8th, 2020
Youth & Education
- Jumpstart – Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Volunteer here to help create resources and activities that the kids they serve can use in their classrooms and homes!
- Blazers – The Blazers Center works to encourage underserved students to pursue higher learning and improve their educational experience. Volunteer here to help organize the center and provide insight into your educational experience!
- Community Services Unlimited (CSU) – Help Community Services Unlimited increase produce production by planting, harvesting, and weeding, all while learning about food systems in their mini-urban garden in Exposition Park!
Hunger & Poverty
- St. Francis Center – Families and individuals from the community can come once a week to select from groceries that have been donated to us. Your job will be, first, to help us sort, organize, and shelve grocery items and produce and, second, to help distribute them to members of the program.
- Shelter Partnership – Shelter Partnership works to address the problem of homelessness in Los Angeles through policy, resource development, and advocacy. Volunteer here to sort their clothing donations and prepare them for delivery to the homeless population of LA!
- GOOD+ – The GOOD+ Foundation provides low-income parents with essential tools- cribs, car seats, strollers, diapers- to maintain the health and safety of their children. Serve with this organization to help sort and distribute the various donations they receive to positively impact their recipients.
- Food Forward – Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Volunteer here to help them pick produce that they can later provide to those in need!
- LA Promise – LA Promise works to clean up and beautify local schools to improve the educational experience of the students who attend them. Volunteer here to help them by doing things like cleaning up trash, painting or decorating classrooms, or gardening!
- Angel City Pit Bulls – Angel City Pit Bulls works to create a better future for pit bulls through education, public advocacy, adoptions, and owner support. Volunteer here to help clean up their facility and kennels, and learn how else you can support their mission!
Looking for a service opportunity for your student group? Recognized Student Organizations can request to be a part of our upcoming Friends and Neighbors Day event! Group members can volunteer together on a service project on a first come, first serve basis. Submit a request for your RSO to participate this upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day through our Group Request Form for our February date. If space is available, we will assign you to one of the sites you’ve indicated that has the capacity for your group, and email you with details. Once approved, your members can register by clicking the red button above to be assigned to your group’s volunteer site.
*Animal Advocacy projects cannot be reserved by groups due to the demand! We apologize for any inconvenience.
Note: We will update this information with project summaries for our upcoming Friends & Neighbors Day one month before each event!