Student Staff Positions
The Volunteer Center offers several leadership opportunities through its Alternative Breaks and Friends & Neighbors Day Programs. Improve USC’s service and volunteer experiences, make an impact, and lead fellow students. Undergraduate and Graduate students are welcome to apply to be part of the Alternative Breaks or Friends & Neighbors Day team! Learn more about the Friends & Neighbors Day Program (FND) and our current Alternative Breaks Program (AB) on our website before applying.
Some of these positions are hourly work-study jobs, and Alternative Break positions are leadership positions that are not hourly – your compensation is your trip cost plus a stipend. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Volunteer Event Coordinators enhance students’ service experience through service in our Friends & Neighbors Day (FND) program and planning additional events. Planning FND is a significant responsibility – it requires at least 10 hours of work per week. You will plan and execute marketing to individuals and student groups, recruit and train team leaders, contact community partners, maintain our email and social media page, and plan general logistics on the day of FND such as food, transportation, and registration. Coordinators will respond to student questions about volunteer opportunities. Apply on the link below. Work Study Required. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Volunteer Event Coordinator Application
Graduate Advisors play a critical role in co-developing a leadership program for Friends & Neighbors Day and the Alternative Breaks, advancing our outreach to students at UPC and HSC, and supervising/supporting our undergraduate staff. You may also market our programs to students and student groups, contact community partners, and maintain our email and social media page. Graduate students are welcome to apply for this position on the link below:
Graduate Advisor Application – https://usccampusactivities.wufoo.com/forms/q1bejckz03jkt74/
Alternative Break Trip Coordinators will be trained to enhance students’ service experience through service learning in our domestic and international Alternative Breaks. Planning an Alternative Break is a significant responsibility – it requires 10+ hours of commitment per week. You will plan and execute pre-trip marketing, recruitment, informational meetings, and the service itinerary. Coordinators will also support our front office, assist with the FND community service program, and respond to questions about volunteer opportunities. More details about this position are on the application link below. Undergraduate and Graduate students are welcome to apply. This is not a job, but a leadership position. Compensation includes the cost of your trip and an additional stipend (amount tbd).
AB Trip Coordinator Application – https://usccampusactivities.wufoo.com/forms/qc593v60uyrozi/
Friends and Neighbors Day
The Volunteer Center is looking for engaging, passionate leaders to join our Friends & Neighbors Day Leadership Council and Volunteer Center Internship Program! Getting more involved in Friends and Neighbors Day through these two great leadership opportunities is a wonderful way to connect to our local community, develop your leadership skills, and gain valuable service experience!
Leadership Council members are volunteers selected to be Team Leaders for Friends & Neighbors Day service projects, and play a big role in improving FND as a whole. The Leadership Council also gives you valuable experience and leadership training for future positions with the Volunteer Center or other organizations. Being on the Leadership Council gives you the opportunity to shape the way FND is run and support the local community alongside USC students, faculty and alumni.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Serve as a Team Leader on at least 4 Friends & Neighbors Days
- Attend leadership development trainings once or twice a semester to prepare you for FND and other leadership positions
- Provide feedback after each FND to enhance the overall experience of the participants and local nonprofits
- Become eligible to be nominated for a Service Award if you fulfill your Leadership Council responsibilities
- Opportunity to participate in leadership training programs
The Friends and Neighbors Day is hosted 1 Saturday per month.
The Schedule is generally as follows:
- Mid-Late August
- Mid September
- Mid October
- Mid November
- Mid-Late January
- Mid February
- Mid March
- Mid April
Prior Friends and Neighbors Day experience is a plus, however, not required to apply. To apply for 2021-2022, click here.
The application closes on a rolling basis until all spots are filled. It’s recommended you apply by the end of September.
If there are spots available we may reopen at a later date. For any questions, email us at ServeOn@usc.edu
Volunteer Center Internship Program (currently on hiatus)
Volunteer Center Interns are volunteers selected based on their unique skills and experience to enhance the operations of Volunteer Center by completing specific tasks and projects based on their individual positions. While the Leadership Council focuses solely on FND, Volunteer Center Interns are heavily involved in developing and growing both the FND and Alternative Break programs. Interns will also participate in an in-depth leadership course and emerge as stronger leaders. The Volunteer Center Internship Program consists of the following positions:
- External Relations Intern
- Develops new relationships with organizations outside of USC for a variety including volunteer projects, funding, and sponsorships.
- Internal Relations Intern
- Fosters relationships and develops opportunities for collaboration with USC student organizations and departments.
- Graphics Intern
- Produces material (logos, designs etc.) for the Volunteer Center’s various communication channels to effectively promote service events.
- Content Creator
- Creates and produces content for us, including photographs and videos, and helps modernize the look of our website.
- Marketing/Influencer Intern
- Develops marketing strategies for our programs, brand identity, and monitors engagement on social media channels.
- Special Events Intern
- Collaborates with VC partners on co-sponsored community service events outside of FND (such as MLK Day of Service, Greek Life, USG/GSG) with the guidance and support from VC staff.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Have experience working with whichever position you apply for.
- Attend bi-weekly meetings to fulfill your assigned projects and collaborate with the other Fellows.
- Become eligible to be nominated for a Service Award if you fulfill your Intern responsibilities
- Opportunity to participate in the Leadership Training Program