Each year, GSG and USG provide free legal counseling to the student population at USC. Legal counseling is every Monday from 4:00-9:00pm and each appointment lasts 30 minutes. If you wish to sign up, please call our office at (213) 740-5620 and one of our office assistants will gladly help you set up an appointment time. Please do not email us requesting an appointment time.
In California, the landlord/tenant relationship involves specific rights and responsibilities for each party. We have included some basic information about the connections between landlords and tenants.
- Maintain and repair the premises to comply with housing codes and regulations.
- Provide adequate locks and keys.
- Maintain electrical, plumbing, heating, and other appliances in good working order.
- Keep the premises in reasonably weather-tight condition.
- Control infestations by insects, rodents, and other pests before the tenant moves in, and in residences (except single-family dwellings) through tenancy.
- In apartments, studios, or other dwellings excluding houses, provide garbage cans and arrange for garbage removal.
- Provide smoke detectors and ensure they work properly when a new tenant moves in.
- A landlord is not responsible for the cost of damages caused by the tenant.
- Pay rent and utilities according to rental agreement.
- Maintain the premises in sanitary condition.
- Pay for fumigation of infestations caused by the tenant (eg: fleas from a pet).
- Properly use and maintain appliances provided by the landlord.
- Do not cause intentional or careless damage to the dwelling.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- Upon moving out, restore the premises to the same condition as when the tenant moved in, aside from normal wear and tear.