Using Your Benefits

How to File for Educational Benefits

Review “Using Veteran Education Benefits at USC” for a comprehensive overview of how to claim your educational benefits at USC.

Visit How to File at the USC Veterans Certification Office website

Covered Programs at USC

  • CHAPTER 30 Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty
  • CHAPTER 31 Voc Rehab
  • CHAPTER 32 VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
  • CHAPTER 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • CHAPTER 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
  • CHAPTER 1606 Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve
  • CHAPTER 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Detailed list of covered programs

Credit for Military Education

Academic credit will be awarded for coursework taken at one of the regionally accredited U.S. Military academies upon receipt of official transcripts. The university will also evaluate course work/experience completed through the armed services and may award credit for such courses if they meet the following criteria:

  • Students must provide official Joint Services (JST) or Coast Guard Institute (CGI) transcripts to Degree Progress.
  • Course work must be evaluated by ACE as upper division credit.

USC will not grant credit for the following:

  • DD-214 or DD-295
  •  Coursework not offered in an area of study taught at USC.
  •  Coursework/experience not evaluated by ACE.
  •  Coursework from the Community College of the Air Force.
  • DSST and CLEP exam scores.
  • Other Learning Experiences (OLE’s).

Military Veteran Book Vouchers

For veterans receiving Vocational Rehabilitation (commonly known as “Voc Rehab”), upon certification by the USC Veterans Certifying Office, a list of eligible students is sent to the University Bookstore. Students taking courses on campus should see the Administrative Services Coordinator on the 3rd floor of the Bookstore between 9am-4pm Monday – Friday to redeem your books. For online courses, please e-mail Edward Cooper at or call 213-740-5065. When requesting your books, please include: your book-list and shipping address, a copy of their VA form 22-1905. Please note; special orders such as: computer related items, backpacks, and/or clothing- need to be included in your 1905 form and approved by your VA case manager.

Schoen Family Scholarship Program for Veterans

William J. Schoen, a former U.S. Marine and USC alum established this scholarship in 1986 to aid veterans of the Armed Forces.

Who is Eligible?

  • Open to USC Marshall School of Business and USC Viterbi School of Engineering students
  • Incoming freshmen and transfer students from an accredited 4-year or community college
  • Continuing undergraduates (Marshall and Viterbi)
  • New and continuing MBA students enrolled in the full-time 2-year program (Marshall)
  • Candidates must have received an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Candidates must have served a minimum of three years of continuous, full time, active duty in the last ten years

How to Apply: Submit a resume, proof of honorable discharge, and summary of active duty deployment to the appropriate program contact.


To apply for  USC’s Yellow Ribbon Scholarship please visit the USC Veterans Certification Office website.

Visit the GI Bill website for a listing of USC Programs participating, as well as the number and dollar amount of each Yellow Ribbon Scholarship.